Grow Your Audience the smart way make adjustments weekly don’t listen to blockheads.
Welcome to The Monday Morning Momentum Marketing Manual #18.
You can also find all of the previous 5M reports here.
A lot of people may not know this but PRINCE used to open for RICK JAMES.
Yes that Rick James, b1tch.
It’s not my fault blame Dave Chappelle.
Anyway later on after Prince got known for his amazing talent he vowed to NEVER have anyone open for him because of obviously what he used to do to Rick James.
Imagine coming on stage after Prince just performed, “When dove’s cry” in the 80′s.
No one is going to be paying attention to you my friend.
Don’t be surprised if you notice people headed to the concession stands during your performance.
This is what happened last week to my blog.
Following a week that was like the perfect storm of collaboration featuring a historic podcast with Gail Gardner from GrowMap, a Q & A discussion with Alex Whalley, and a featured link from Carol Tice’s blog which caused an iceberg of traffic, I called it the Carol Tice’Berg.
Remember this site is all about using strategy to accomplish important goals for your online business.
This starts with being realistic.
While it was awesome to have so much activity and collaboration I knew that continuing this growth the following week would be very difficult if not IMPOSSIBLE.
The 5M series is all about growing your audience consecutively. My current record is 11 weeks.
What I have learned in this process is that it is extremely difficult to maintain record setting traffic back to back for weeks on end.
Especially after a RECORD week when you have increases over 100%.
Exponential growth is something that happens as a side effect of promoting your blog effectively, it’s cool and all but you simply can’t expect it will continue to happen every week.
Unless you have a fat ass budget and you can pay for serious marketing and promotion.
Otherwise, you should expect a step back anytime you have a record setting week.
This is what you’ll find the week after holidays and seasonal festivals also.
All of a sudden the big crowd will dissipate and the only people left will be your original audience PLUS a few new people.
THIS is where the gold is hidden. As these new people join your base your real audience increases, the number of people actually reading your content increases.
Now your audience is growing, organically.
5M Step #1 – Grow your audience by reviewing Google Analytics performance:
There’s no reason to think that you’ll pack out the concert hall again if you don’t have the big star on stage AGAIN.
One day you will be a big star and able to pack out the concert hall all on your own just like Prince.
That is if you’re dedicated, recognize your talents, and you’re willing to use a system that works.
Growing your audience is a process. It takes time, there are ups and downs and twists and turns along the way.
Here are my results for last week.
The 7 metrics above are the most critical to growing your audience consistently.
What you need to do is compare this week to last week to determine which way your site is heading.
GREEN = GOOD
RED = BAD
The point of the 5M analysis is to get all 7 metrics above in the green which I have only done ONCE in the 18 weeks since I have been writing this series.
This week I expected to see RED and that’s what I’m seeing but I’m happy to see AVD is up.
5M Step #2 – Take action to grow your audience by focusing on the 7 key metrics:
THE GOOD NEWS:
- Avg. Visit Duration [QUALITATIVE]: UP 16.07% after being DOWN 12.43% the previous week. I replied to a comment from Daryl about this earlier today. In my opinion the most difficult feat to accomplish as a blogger is to increase AVD. This really is the one metric that I would be happy to increase every week. I know if people are paying attention then good things will happen.
THE BAD NEWS:
- Pageviews [QUALITATIVE]: DOWN 50.03% after being UP 118.33% the previous week. Now you may begin to see what I mean by growing your audience over time. Increasing by double and then decreasing by half still leaves half on the table.
- Bounce Rate [QUALITATIVE]: UP 1.94% after being DOWN 11.87% the previous week. I never want to see my bounce rate increasing but this is less than 2% increase not a huge deal especially after this was down nearly 12% in the previous week.
- Visits [QUANTITATIVE]: DOWN 47.83% after being UP 119.68% the previous week. Losing visits is never a good thing but again after having so many NEW visitors show up seeing that the drop off is less than half of the increase is a good thing after all.
- Unique Visitors [QUANTITATIVE]: DOWN 50.35% after being UP 116.48% the previous week. Once again I expected a substantial drop off after a record setting week. The good news is the following week didn’t “give it all back” I only lost about HALF of the new unique visitors after being up over 100%.
- % New Visits [QUANTITATIVE]: DOWN 16.01% after being UP 3.03% the previous week. Big decrease here following the record week. This just shows how many new visitors will come to your site when a major blog recommends you.
- Pages / Visit [QUALITATIVE]: DOWN 4.22% after being DOWN -0.61% the previous week. I am concerned with this statistic. New visitors find all the content new so you would expect them to browse more pages but I also didn’t publish very many new articles and the truth is people like to read NEW stuff.
May 26, 2013-Jun 1, 2013
Here are my content marketing activities for last week:
- Grow Your Audience with relationships and the Carol Tice’berg [5M 17]
- The Most Important Podcast V with special guest SAMIAH BETHEL
NOTICE. I only published two articles the lowest amount in a very long time. I have been busy as a mofo taking care of some business for clients and I’m in the process of moving. Long story more to come.
Guest Posts Published:
Someone linked to me for their list of blogs that use commentluv but right now I need to go back and find the link I’ll update this post later once I locate it again. If it was you please remind me with a comment below, thanks. Oh yeah and if you link to me I will give you a shout out in this report.
Last week I posted much less comments than the usual 20-25 after each post. I may have posted a total of 5.
If you want to get the most out of comment posting then I strongly recommend CommentLuv enabled blogs for best results.
These comments lead to referral traffic and social shares.
- Google+: I shared each post on the Google+ main stream and in related communities.
- Twitter: Only one or two shares a day. I have stopped #Hashtag Hijacking until further notice . Watch the video review on this page for a preview of how I plan to change my strategy. I just copied the people who were related to the post.
- Facebook: 1 share per article published.
- YES,I’m still looking for the best pages on Facebook please comment below with your favorite FB page URL.
- StumbleUpon: I shared each article above to the business or technology related section on StumbleUpon.
- NO Broadcast messages sent with Aweber.
- One new follow up messages scheduled for YOB subscribers. Sorry I can’t share everything you have to subscribe to see what I share in the VIP.
May 19, 2013-May 25, 2013
Want to know how I increased my AVD?
When you do it right this is exactly what will happen.
Your audience and your online business will grow.
Let me explain what I mean.
If I compared my results from last week to a week prior to Carol linking to my blog here’s what you get:
Now do you see what I’m talking about?
Can you see the difference?
When I compare last week which was considered the let down week to the week prior to my record you see substantial growth across the board.
This is what growing your audience all about.
When you use a plan that is focused on a long term growth it’s amazing what happens.
#Stretch. 119 minutes and 39 seconds
Featured Blog Posts Subscribe for Free updates