Grow your audience by networking and building relationships. Don’t listen to blockheads.
Welcome to The Monday Morning Momentum Marketing Manual #11.
You can also find all of the previous 5M reports here.
“If you write the same content as everyone else, you’re not original but an echo chamber.”
This quote from Ari Herzog, the founder of AriHerzog.com is the best explanation for what I’ve noticed on the internet.
People are struggling to grow their audience and THEY don’t know why.
Is this the problem?
Used or produced at the creation or earliest stage of something.
Something serving as a model or basis for imitations or copies: “the portrait may be a copy of the original”.
Synonyms: primary – genuine – primitive – primordial – initial
I read TONS of blogs researching for the #IBCT and because of this I can’t help but notice who says what first and who just repeats stuff.
It’s comedy really.
First a blogger publishes an article with a STRONG opinion about SOMETHING IMPORTANT.
Then all of a sudden SOME other bloggers start repeating it like it’s their own idea.
Just like a throwback sucker MC biting a rhyme (Damn, I miss real real hip-hop).
Even though for SOME strange reason SOME people on the internet are still saying they don’t think I’m a real person.
I want YOU to know the point of Your Online Business is to discuss what’s IMPORTANT for ambitious self employed people and small business owners.
Soloprenures, you know the people who believe in themselves more than they do their bosses.
I want to encourage and motivate you to be original because you inspire me with your originality.
I want to make fun of you until the end of time.
The fact that you call yourself a thought leader is freaking hilarious.
Wait, WTF does that make all of us? Thought followers? GTFOOH.
The truth is, I don’t care what people say, I write these 5M report for YOU.
That way you can see for yourself ONE path to take your blog from ZERO weekly visitors to 500+.
Then you can plan and plot your own course to success.
Because ultimately we are all moving in the same direction as we build, promote, and grow online we will pass 7 important check points:
- 25 average visitors per day
- 50 average visitors per day
- 100 average visitors per day
- 200 average visitors per day
- 400 average visitors per day
- 800 average visitors per day
- 1000+ average visitors per day
The question is where are you today and how will you get to the next level?
Using the numbered list above what level are you on currently in terms of blog traffic?
YourOnline.biz is on level #2 THANKS TO YOU and my goal is to reach level #7 soon.
5M Step #1 – Grow your audience by reviewing Google Analytics performance:
I remember when I used to work at McDonald’s back in the day and they started installing timers to clock how long it took to fill orders.
Everyone was like, “Man, what is this all about?”
“What do you mean they are timing how LONG it takes us NOW?”
Well, this simple change allowed management to understand what was the primary cause of lost profits:
With this data managers could sit down and objectively determine who to schedule based on OBJECTIVE performance.
Yeah a shift manager may like Andre and Katie but if Brenda and George are turning around the orders faster and more consistently based on the timer, who do you think will get more hours next week?
That’s the same logic behind the 5M reports.
Here’s my results from last week:
If you want to to grow your audience back to back for weeks you have to understand the 7 metrics above.
They are the most important indicators for website health:
GREEN = GOOD
RED = BAD
The objective of the 5M analysis is to get all 7 metrics in the green which I have only done ONCE in the 10 weeks since I started the series but this week I’m happy to see 6 out of 7 in the GREEN. One more than last week.
5M Step #2 – Take action to grow your audience by focusing on the 7 key metrics:
THE GOOD NEWS:
- Visits: UP 32.26% – This tell me that dramatically more visitors showed up than last week where my visits increased by 28%. It’s encouraging to see visits increase so much more than last week which had a BIG increase itself. I”ll say this again. It will be very difficult to keep this growth rate going.
- Unique Visitors: UP 25.27% – This tells me that even more Unique Visitors showed up last week than the previous week where unique visitors had increased by 21.33%. Double digit growth is hard to maintain and twenty percent growth is nearly impossible to keep going long term, stay tuned.
- Pageviews: UP 37.92% – This tells me that new and returning visitors are reading more content increasingly. Pageviews were up substantially last week after the previous week was also up 31.28%. This is also a positive indicator of engagement.
- Pages / Visit: UP 4.28% – This is very interesting. I would expect to see an increase in Pages/Visit whenever there are more pageviews. Last week pages per visit was up 2.54% to see this improve at a faster pace is very encouraging.
- Bounce Rate: DOWN -2.44% – This has always been THE indicator of how well your content is connecting with your audience. Ideally you want all visitors to visit multiple pages before they exit. If they don’t and they leave on the same page that they entered it’s called a “bounce” and it affects your bounce rate metric negatively. I’m glad to see this stat is moving in the right direction after being down also last week only slightly -0.49%.
- Avg. Visit Duration: UP 73.62% – It was important to rebound from last week where AVD had declined over 20%. This means the new visitors actually stayed around and read the content for MUCH longer than the previous week before bouncing.
THE BAD NEWS:
- % New Visits: DOWN -1.25% – This was the only stat that kept me from getting all 7 in the GREEN. I only missed it by a point and a quarter. This is an improvement from the previous week where % of new visits was down -8.97%.
Apr 7, 2013-Apr 13, 2013:
Here are my content marketing activities for last week:
- Grow Your Audience for TEN weeks straight. [5M 010]
- 2nd Annual 2013 #IBCT Champion: GrowMap.com
- What I learned from Ari Herzog – Q&A with the founder of AriHerzog.com
- How to Generate Traffic and Leads for Your Business pt.1
- Why I don’t recommend Multi Level Marketing or stupid ass “schemes” like Empower Network
Guest Posts Published:
- Google+: I shared each post on Google plus on the main page to the public and in select communities.
- Twitter: 5-8 shares per day. I have stopped #Hashtag Hijacking until further notice.
- I also created a Triberr account but I haven’t’ done anything yet except say what’s up.
- Facebook: 1 share per article published.
- I didn’t share posts to related FB pages that much. However, I am still in the process of putting together a list of the best Facebook groups for blog promotion. Please comment below with your favorite fb page URL.
- StumbleUpon: I shared each article above to the business section on StumbleUpon.
Mar 31, 2013-Apr 6, 2013:
2013 week to date results for YourOnline.biz
How to Grow Your Audience for ELEVEN weeks straight?
Focus on what makes you, you.
Don’t be afraid to be yourself.
That means cultivating and promoting YOUR IDEAS even when no one else cares and you’re the only one who SEEMS to give a damn.
Know that IT will be what you make it and EVERYTHING IS NOT AS IT SEEMS.
When I created the #IBCT last year and started telling everyone about it, people didn’t know how to react.
No one knew WHO I was let alone WTF the #IBCT was all about.
Featured Blog Posts Subscribe for Free updates